1. Beliefs and Attitudes
- Make a list of your beliefs about America.
- List behaviours that demonstrate those beliefs
Task: Brainstorm and then create four lists: (Pair)
- Ethnic minorities.
- Cultural differences between the ethnic minorities.
- Different regions in the USA.
- Cultural differences between those regions.
Democracy in the USA
Task: Create a poster that demonstrates American values and pioneering spirit. (Pairs).
2. Modern Family model in America
2.1 Contemporary American family model
2.2 The role of women and men in the family and society
2.3 Divorce and ‘ alternative lifestyles ‘,
2.4 Ways to celebrate wedding anniversaries ,
2.5 The concept of nuclear family and extended family
In groups write a short document about the American family, include the following topics:
The modern American family unit.
The changing roles of men and women in the family and in society.
Marriage and divorce.
3. American Etiquette
3.1 Behavior accepted by society ,
3.2 Examples of socially unacceptable behavior ,
3.3 Formal language in conversation
3.4 Good manners at the table
3.5 The behavior of men and women in everyday situations
3.6 Behaviour of students in class
In your group write a short document outlining what to do and what not to do for a teenager from Suwalki visiting the USA for one semester.
Include the following:
- Acceptable and unacceptable behaviour in class and during dinner dates.
- Examples of formal language you can throw into conversation.
- How to act in abnormal situations.